Sunday, March 02, 2008

The End, by Margaret Jean Storbeck-Helm

Wow, what a weekend! I left Mom on Friday Night, she was mentally confused on and off but aware of what was going on around her. We (Bill, the kids and myself) went out for dinner, got home and Dorothy had called. The Dr. was in to see Mom and he didn't think she'd make it till Monday. I had a hard time sleeping so went in real early on Saturday morning and I walked into something I did not expect! Mom's disease had really progressed throughout the night, she was barely responsive and her breathing was very labored, she got less responsive throughout the day until she slipped into a coma in the evening. The visitors yesterday were as follows Dorothy, Frank, Sarah, Brian, Heather, John, Randi, Brianne, Jake, Shelley, Joy, and a longtime friend of mine Amy. We were blessed also to have a nurse on duty that was a schoolmate of mine, Kelly. John, Dorothy and myself spent the night last night periodically waking up to make sure she was still breathing and when the nurses would come in to administer her medication and reposition her. We were all awake shortly after 4 a.m. this morning. Mom's breathing was even more labored now and the modeling had begun in her feet (this happens when people are very close to death). Around 7 a.m. we decided we needed to paint Mom's nails (this was important to her, and us) so Dorothy and I unhooked her oxygen and started painting her nails. The breaths were becoming farther and farther apart. We were with Mom when the Lord came to get her at 7:22 this morning. It was beautiful and scary all at the same time. In the past 36 hours we have all experienced so many different emotions, we've laughed, cried, gotten mad at each other, at God....the whole gamut! Some really funny stories were told, the three of us had a good night together. I brought our journal home and look forward to going through it and sharing some of our funny stories. From start till end, it's been a whirlwind. We thank the Lord so much for letting us have these past 4 weeks with Mom. We were able to say our goodbyes, hear her wishes and watch our Mother die with the dignity, poise and grace she has possessed her entire life. She amazed us, still trying to take care of us and our families to the very end. She was selfless and rarely put herself first. Thank you so much Lord for giving such a beautiful Mother. She lead by example and am so happy she was our Mom! I will love you and miss you more then you will ever know!

So this afternoon we went to the funeral home and made all of the accommodation's and they are as follows....

Wilson Funeral Home
Lathrop Avenue
Racine, WI

Wednesday, March 5th
Visitation 10-11 a.m.
Memorial Service 11-12 a.m./p.m.
Burial 12-1 p.m.
Luncheon to follow at
J.Q. Foxes in Sturtevant

We, the family would especially like to the thank the entire staff at Angel's Grace Hospice. The love, kindness and gentleness that showed all of us is beyond words. They made our Mother's passing so very beautiful to all of us.

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts, prayers, kind words, dinners, etc... They have meant so much to all of us.
:)
In HIM-
Proudly signing off as Margaret Helm's Daughter!

5 comments:

Sue said...

My love goes out to all of you. Aunt Margie was a wonderful lady and part of her legacy is her amazing family. Your strength through this was inspiring to read. Tim, Jennifer and I will see you in Racine on Wednesday.
Much Love,
Susie

Mindy said...

Michelle---I'm hugging you thru the computer!!! I hope this doesn't sound too odd---but what a beautiful gift God gives us when we can be there at the end. Giving comfort, devotion and prayers to our loved one and each other as He welcomes them home. Very honestly, I wish that I could come on Wed., however, one of our Teen MOPS graduates is having surgery for her cervial cancer on Wed. and she has asked me to be there. Know that I will be with you in spirit--it would be an honor to pay respect to a woman who so obviously greatly loved those around her by how much they loved her.
Much love.

Jen said...

love you...

Chris Johnson said...

Sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you & your family.

Amy said...

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers Wednesday. Sending you a huge hug right now.