Friday, March 07, 2008

Reflections....

What a beautiful day on Wednesday, March 5th 2008. The flowers where beautiful, the weather was beautiful, Pastor John had a beautiful message, Randi's voice was beautiful, Dorothy & Billy had beautiful things to say and all the people that came to honor our Mom are beautiful and had the most beautiful things to say about her. I am so honored that she was my Mom. I think she had a gift that made every life she touched feel special. Mom had a very kind heart and a gentle soul. She loved her family so much, and, I don't just me her immediate family. She loved her brothers, sisters, in-laws, nieces & nephews. You were all so very important to her and she new everyone's name and had special memories of each of you! And you all had special memories of her that you shared with us. A beautiful older woman came up to Dorothy and I at the funeral home, she was a childhood friend of my Mom.They grew up across the street from each other, she shared they would play 'kick the can' and other games in the street. They lived out in the 'country' which isn't the 'country' anymore. She to had beautiful things to say about Mom.

A few funny stories I'd like to share with you from these past few weeks, Dorothy shared a few at the funeral. The oatmeal (seriously, it had to be made to the perfect consistency or watch out), the way the peanut butter was spread, how I use a half a roll of toilet paper to wipe, and all the nurses at the hospital had to know that, the night we gave Mom this anti-anxiety medicine and she flipped out. I was laughing so hard I almost wet my pants, Dorothy was saying 'compose yourself' and Mom got really mad at me. Mom asking us if the show with the Mouse was almost over and telling Dorothy 'No more tricks', Dorothy and I trying to sneak garbage out, Dorothy getting busted for cleaning Mom's kitchen counter off, etc.. The stories go on and on and they will be so special to us forever.

Now it's time to 'get back to normal' whatever that means! I feel a little empty inside and I know that will get better with everyday. I'm not one to feel sorry for myself, but I think I will allow it for a little while. As I said a hundred times on Wednesday, we feel so blessed to have had our Mom diagnosed and die within' that 5-6 week period. Her suffering was minimal, we had time to discuss important things and we all had the chance to say 'I love you' a million times and say good-bye. She was a beautiful woman, she will live on in all of our hearts forever and hey, she's with Jesus now and I know that we will be reunited with her again because of the promise. I will miss her so much, everytime I watch 'the girls' as she called them (The View), I will think of her, everytime I get frustrated with my kids, I will try and remember the patience and calmness she had with them, I will do my best to carry on her kind heart & gentle soul.

Thanks again to everyone for everything. We (Ginger, Dorothy, John and myself) feel so blessed to have the best family, friends, neighbors, Churches, schools, employers etc.. The support you have showed us is unbelievable and hearts are blessed beyond words by you. You will never know how much everything has meant to us...

God's Blessing to you all-
Michelle/Lucy

3 comments:

Jen said...

Been keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.......

Mindy said...

so well said Michelle. I am so inspired by the way you have carried yourself, expressed your thoughts and emotions and so clearly displayed the love for your mom through all of this. holding tight to the image of loved ones with Jesus and the knowledge that we will all one day be reunited is a comforting thought when the storms come. praying for all of your hearts...

Julie said...

Your mom left a beautiful legacy of everything she was...and that is her beautiful and wonderful family.