Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Washing Machine Saga......

This is the letter that is being sent to American today, of course it's the 'nice/polite' version!!!!

American TV and Appliance
Madison, WI
To Whom It May Concern:
I think you should be made aware of my recent/ongoing experience with your service department. One year ago on September 30th my husband and I took delivery on a brand new LG Washer and Dryer. It has worked well for that year and we’ve had no complaints. Two weeks ago, our washing machine started to malfunction. It wouldn’t drain and I received a code on the display. I checked the book that came with the appliance and it instructed me to unplug the washer and call for service. Since the washer is still under warranty and we bought the extended warranty I figured this was no problem, call American and get it fixed. My husband contacted your service department and they called back the next day stating they could come out in 1 week (7 days). Much to my dismay, we accepted this. (We have 3 children and you can imagine the laundry that would pile up in a week). I did go to the Laundromat and dumped $40.00 in their machines to get us through the week. The following week, we received a call telling us what time the service person would be out. He showed up shortly after the time was given and asked if anyone had called me to diagnose the problem. No, nobody had called us. He briefly (10 minutes) look at our washer at which point he said, are you available for me to come back next Wednesday (7 days later). At this point I was upset, not at the service person, at the circumstance and I said this is unacceptable and who could I contact about this. At which point he told me, somebody was suppose to have contacted me to diagnose the problem and then he would have been able to bring the correct parts with him and that I could call the service department and speak to a Service Manager. Well, of course, I immediately called, was on hold for 15 minutes getting tossed from person to person and then I was disconnected. I called back and spoke to a gentleman, I didn’t write his name down. He was going to see if he could expedite it sooner and would call me either that evening or the next morning. I received no phone call so I called back the following afternoon. The gal who answered the phone told me he was not answering his phone and either she would call me back or she would have him call me back. Which still to this day (5 days later) has not happened. After still no phone call I contacted LG to make them aware of how American was handling this and representing their product. I spoke to a delightful gentleman who diagnosed the problem with me and guess what, my washing machine is working! Just like that, over the phone.

The reason I am writing this letter to you is to make you aware of how your service department has completely dropped the ball on this. Not only, were they going to replace a motor that didn’t need to be replaced but they never returned 1 of my phone calls or tried to accommodate me. My husband and I have purchased many appliances and electronics from your store and we have completely lost faith in your service department. This incident will make us reconsider where we shop next time we need to make a major purchase. In addition, we are very social people, you just never know what type of customer you are dissatisfying, what happened to the customer is always right? Again, I just wanted to make you aware that your service department is not getting the proper training on fixing appliances and/or handling customers.

2 comments:

Jen said...

GOOD for you!!!! And glad to know LG was easy to deal with, since we bought an LG recently and all.......

Michelle said...

Don't piss me off! But I still haven't heard from anybody. I might call their corporate office tomorrow and find out who to actually mail the letter to!